The weather has been lovely lately. Perfect for gardening and that’s where I’ve been for the last two weeks. I had massive amounts of weeding and plant relocation required for creating new veggie growing space. We have one lovely flowering tree that loves to seed other little flowering trees. So I moved no less than six Althea trees, sacrificed a few more, moved three Trumpet vines and butchered a lot of ground cover that was way out of control. I then put up a new fence around the new garden space to keep doggie dear from not only squishing the plants but doing his business on them. I also weeded out my raised bed from last year and put a new fence around that space. Along with tomatoes and yellow squash (or squish as the boys like to call it) I’ve been adding several honey bee attracting flowers. This seemed be an issue last year so I’ve been researching, purchasing and planting lots of pretty flowers. I am happy to report that it works! Now I am not a fan of anything that stings, but I’ve found the honey bees to be very docile. They usually fly away when I walk up to the garden. My brother-in-law (the bee keeper) taught me that fuzzy body bees are good and shiny body buzzy things are mean. So hurray for fuzzy honey bees!
Here’s the garden spaces all planted up for the season:
Also have lots of flowers in full bloom around the house:
Since I’ve been outside so much there hasn’t been as much of creative juice for the artwork as there usually is. But I’ve managed to get a few things in here and there. Still been messing around with the deconstructed screen printing. This one below has been printing twice. I want to incorporate stitching and whatever else comes to mind, when I get the itch to work on it again.
Then I made my first Flip Journal. Thanks to Kate in my art group for showing us all how to do it in a great demo!
Here’s the pages I did for the round robin journal exchange. This is Lynn’s poetry themed journal. One poem is by William Blake and the other my son. He was really excited to see me make something out of one of his poems.
Then I finally got to reinforcing my fabric box. I was given some old welding rods by my next door neighbor. So I metal embossed them, cut then glued then stitched them into the interior of the box. The box is now looking much more box like. Then I stitched my box top hinges into place, because gluing them never really worked. I may or may not do more, it’s kind of a mood thing at this point.
Still working on photographing Irene’s artwork. The flickr page should be public soon. I’ll keep you posted.