Puzzled

So I finished up the 3 Creative Studios Quilt Challenge today. It’s about 12″ x16″, deconstructed rubbing on black fabric, lots of hand stitching with hand-dyed threads. I found that the stitching worked well with the print texture of the puzzle pieces. The whole process was largely about experimentation. With the theme of puzzle I decided to just go literal and pull out some actual puzzle pieces. I just figured out what to do as I went along. It is a departure from other work I’ve done and for that I like this.

Puzzled Puzzled Close Up 1 Puzzled Close up 2

Challenge Redo

I finished one piece I was working on. Not crazy about it. It’s not bad, but it’s not great either. And fitting it into the theme of ‘puzzle’ was weak. Here it is:

Pieces

So I decided to tackle this challenge again with an idea I had been thinking about for a few weeks. How well would black fabric work with the deconstructed rubbings technique? So I borrowed some puzzle pieces from my kids and built this:

Puzzle on the screen

and what I got was this:

Puzzle on black

Pretty cool! Kind of reminds me of art from the 80’s. I then used some Shiva sticks to the edges with some more puzzle pieces. Fused it to some felt and then turned on the sewing machine. After some calm negotiations, the machine agreed to work. I’m not the most skilled at using sewing machines and it sometimes it takes me a little bit of time to get it working smoothly. So last night, on commercial breaks of Dr. Who on BBC, I got some free motion stitches in place.

Puzzle Stitched

Part of this challenge for myself is to see how quickly can I pull this piece together, without ditching the quality. I have some other things I’m going to attempt to do to this today. Stay tuned.

Last one, I promise

Last screenprint for a little while. I need to deep clean the screen and actually make something out of the stuff I’ve made so far. I keep finding new surfaces to experiment with and curiosity gets the best of me.

No. 4: Prints 1 & 2 No. 4 close up_02

No. 4 Close up_01

A Neocolor New Year

I’m starting off the new year with a big push on the artwork. My big present from the in-laws was a set of Caran D’ache Neocolor II crayons. When grouped together with the cool screen printing set Victor got me a short while ago and some matte medium you have the makings of some deconstructed rubbings.

SuppliesBefore the goo is added

I’ve never done any sort of screen printing, so some of these tools are rather new to me. I started with some Shiva plates that had seen little to no activity ever. They seemed like an easy way to start. So I created one screen, did some pulls and got the idea of how it all works. So far, so good. I proceeded to wash the screen and tools. I fully expected the design to wash out and a clean, white screen to be left. That didn’t happen. I washed, I scrubbed, tried a few different soaps and brushes, I soaked it. The pattern got lighter but not gone. I was not happy. I ran to my computer, searching for any bit of information that could aid me in my screen cleaning. Nothing like thinking you ruined a new tool first time using it. After a few more scrubbings and searches online I found some person on a forum with a similar problem (just different materials). Turns out my screen is just stained, not clogged. Held it up to the light and there weren’t any dark areas of clogged holes.Yup, felt kind of silly. Oh well, I’m still learning.

First Run

A few hours later I gave it another go and got some cool results. I’m not crazy about the stiffness of the fabric so I’m going to experiment with different mediums and see what happens. I’ll probably layer up some other images onto some of these.

Deconstructed Rubbings

One of my new year goals is to complete at least one project a month. Another one of goals is to use the materials I have. Over the few years I’ve been doing this fiber stuff I’ve built up a mighty stash. It is just time to work with what I have and start producing more artwork. I don’t know exactly what that artwork will be, but I figure I just need to jump in. So please check back to my blog more frequently, if you wish. I promise to post lots more about my art adventures.

One side note…

Earlier this week I spent the whole morning baking for our little family. Everyone has been home for the past two weeks and the food has been disappearing quickly around here. So I thought I would post a picture of some of the morning’s efforts. I say some because there were waffles too but there were to few left to bother including in the photo. Here is the homemade pizza dough for dinner later and biscuits that are just for eating on these cold winter days.

Feeding the boys

Happy New Year everyone!